- Making peace, I have found, is much harder than making war.
- It may seem sometimes as if a culture of peace does not stand a chance against the culture of war, the culture of violence and the cultures of impunity and intolerance. Peace may indeed be a complex challenge, dependent on action in many fields and even a bit of luck from time to time. It may be a painfully slow process, and fragile and imperfect when it is achieved. But peace is in our hands. We can do it.
Arias Sanchez, Oscar
- Peace is a never-ending process, the work of many decisions by many people in many countries. It is an attitude, a way of life, a way of solving problems and resolving conflicts. It cannot be forced on the smallest nation or enforced by the largest. It cannot ignore our differences or overlook our common interests. It requires us to work and live together.
- Peace consists, very largely, in the fact of desiring it with all one’s soul.
- There can never be peace between nations until there is first known that true peace which is within the souls of men.
- We cannot be both the world’s leading champion of peace and the world’s leading supplier of the weapons of war.
- War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other’s children.
- We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other’s children.
- If we desire peace, we must prepare for peace. The most important thing is to build a culture of peace.
- We will not have peace by afterthought.
- If you want to make peace, you don’t talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies.
- Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace.
- I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace. Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war.
- Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.
- The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don’t do anything about it.
- Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.
- Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved through understanding.
- “There’s been a quantum leap technologically in our age, but unless there’s another quantum leap in human relations, unless we learn to live in a new way towards one another, there will be a catastrophe.”
Eisenhower, Dwight D.
- I think that people want peace so much that one of these days government had better get out of their way and let them have it.
- I like to believe that people in the long run are going to do more to promote peace than our governments. Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that, one of these days, governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
- Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- “In the goodness of time, all peoples will come to live together in a peace guaranteed by the binding force of mutual respect and love.”
- We can’t do it by ourselves, but if enough of us do it, we change the cultural climate, and then the leaders follow.”
- Peace is not something you wish for; it’s something you make, something you do, something you are, and something you give away.
Gandhi, Arun [ grandson of Mahatma Gandhi ]
- Everywhere we turn, we see violence and hate and prejudice and anger and all of these negative emotions that are destroying humanity. And we have to wake up and take note of this and try to change our course, so that we can create a world of peace and harmony where future generations can live happily together.
- An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
- Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it
- Be the change you want to see in the world.
- Whenever you are confronted with an opponent. Conquer him with love.
- The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
- Whenever you have truth it must be given with love, or the message and the messenger will be rejected
- The Roots of Violence: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice, Politics without principles
- A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
- The future depends on what we do in the present.
- What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?
- If we wish to create a lasting peace we must begin with the children.
- Remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall — think of it, ALWAYS.
- I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.
- All humanity is one undivided and indivisible family, and each one of us is responsible for the misdeeds of all the others. I cannot detach myself from the wickedest soul.
- I offer you peace. I offer you love. I offer you friendship. I see your beauty. I hear your need. I feel your feelings. My wisdom flows from the Highest Source. I salute that Source in you. Let us work together for unity and love.
- Peace will not come out of a clash of arms but out of justice lived and done by unarmed nations in the face of odds.
- Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart
- There is no road towards peace; peace is the road
- Three quarters of the miseries and misunderstandings in the world would finish if people were to put on the shoes of their adversaries and understood their points of view
- As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world – that is the myth of the atomic age – as in being able to remake ourselves.
- Poverty is the worst form of violence.
- A peace that comes from fear and not from the heart is the opposite of peace.
- It is easier to lead men to combat, stirring up their passion, than to restrain them and direct them toward the patient labors of peace.
- Since there will be no one left to talk peace after the next war, it makes good sense to break with tradition and hold the peace conference first.
Johnson, Lyndon Baines
- If we are to live together in peace, we must come to know each other better.
- I do not want the peace which passeth understanding, I want the understanding which bringeth peace.
Kennedy, John F.
- Peace is a daily, a weekly, a monthly process, gradually changing opinions, slowly eroding old barriers, quietly building new structures.
King, Martin Luther Jr.
- I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality… I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.
- Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal.
- It is not enough to say we must not wage war. It is necessary to love peace and sacrifice for it.
- The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood.
- We must concentrate not merely on the negative expulsion of war but the positive affirmation of peace.
- All we are saying is give peace a chance.
- Conflict is inevitable, but combat is optional.
- The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.
- Could I have but a line a century hence crediting a contribution to the advance of peace, I would yield every honor which has been accorded by war.
- If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner.
- I dream of an Africa which is in peace with itself.
- Establishing lasting peace is the work of education; all politics can do is keep us out of war.
Peck, M. Scott
- There can be no vulnerability without risk; there can be no community without vulnerability; there can be no peace, and ultimately no life, without community.
Rankin, Jeanette [first woman elected to congress]
- You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake.
- It isn’t enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn’t enough to believe in it. One must work at it.
Roosevelt, Franklin D.
- If civilization is to survive, we must cultivate the science of human relationships – the ability of all peoples, of all kinds, to live together, in the same world at peace.
- Peace is more precious than a piece of land.
- Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.
Stevenson, Adlai E.
- Peace is the one condition of survival in this nuclear age.
- We travel together, passengers on a little spaceship, dependent on its vulnerable reserves of air and soil, all committed, for our safety, to its security and peace. Preserved from annihilation only by the care, the work and the love we give our fragile craft.
Tenzin Gyatso, The 14th Dalai Lama
- If you wish to experience peace, provide peace for another.
- If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Van Dyke, Henry
- A peace that depends on fear is nothing but a suppressed war.
Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit
- The more we sweat in peace the less we bleed in war.
- Peace is our gift to each other.